Combo Box, anyone?

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:47 AM
I would like to see a Combo Box since it is missing from the base control set.  I suspect there will be a Combo Box by the time that SL2 ships, but it would be nice to have something for now.
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2008 at 12:56 PM
I agree that this would be a nice addition.  I have also heard that the combo box will likely make it into the final SL2 release.  Even if the combo box finds its way into the release, we could still incorporate a combo box that has additional features.  I'll add this request to the candidate feature list.  Thanks for your input!
Sep 16, 2008 at 3:47 PM
Edited Sep 16, 2008 at 3:53 PM
Don't know if this could be incorporated, but you might ask its creator...

http://www.silverlightshow.net/items/Silverlight-ComboBox.aspx

Demo of control here..
http://www.silverlightshow.net/showcase/ComboBoxDemo.html
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2008 at 11:29 PM
Since the release of Silverlight RC0, the priority on this has been lowered somewhat.  If the need for a more full-featured combo box is desired, we could re-evaluate the need for this.
Developer
Oct 2, 2008 at 5:22 AM
When you say "more full-featured" what features are you looking for? 
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2008 at 12:35 PM
Edited Oct 2, 2008 at 12:36 PM
For one thing, the Silverlight combo box does not appear to support the IsEditable property.  I haven't fully tested this out, but I think it's simply not enabled for this release.
Examining the Combo Box with Reflector reveals the following:
public bool IsEditable
{
get
{
return false;
}
}
Oct 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM

For "more full featured", a couple of things come to mind:

1) It looks like the SLRC0 version is really just a drop down and doesn't provide the "combo" feature, which is having a textbox to narrow the selection.

2) It also looks like you cannot bind the collection to a datasource where there is are "key" and "name" properties and you want to bind the key back to your core binding object.

It's kind of surprising that this stuff is not available when this is all working in WPF.